Kansas Athletic Trainers’ Society (KATS) Annual Symposium
The Kansas Athletic Trainers' Society provides an annual continuing education symposium to their membership for a reduced fee.
2019 Annual KATS Meeting and Symposium
Sunday, November 17, 2019
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Topeka Stormont Vail Pozez Education Center
The Symposium will include 5.0 Category A CEUs and 1.0 EBP CEU.
- Early Bird Pricing ends November 5 at 5:00 p.m.
- All online registration ends November 15 at 5:00 p.m.
- The first 100 certified Athletic Trainers registered will receive a special gift.
Registration can be done the day of the symposium however ALL attendees will be charged $65 (both certified and students), and lunch is not guaranteed.
|7:30 - 8:30 a.m.||Registration and breakfast danishes|
|8:30 - 9:00 a.m.||KATS Awards Ceremony|
|9:00 - 10:00 a.m.||Sleep Apnea in Athletes
Angie Brockman - Stormont Vail Pulmonary Center
|10:00 - 10:15 a.m.||Break|
|10:15 - 11:15 a.m.||Common Pitfalls to Avoid in the Practice of Athletic Training
Reese Hays, JD - KS Board of Healing Arts Disciplinary Counsel
|11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||Dr. Brian Wilson, Stormont Vail Orthopedic Surgeon|
|12:15 - 1:15 p.m.||KATS Business Meeting and Box Lunches (Centennial Room - not main auditorium)|
|1:15 - 2:15 p.m.||Tobacco use in Athletes: Incorporating the Brief Tobacco Intervention into Athletic Training Practice (EBP CEU)
Emily Carpenter, MAT, ATC - KS Department of Health and Environment
|2:15 - 3:15 p.m.||Dislocation Management
Dr. Hailey Avila, Stormont Vail Sports Medicine Physician
|3:15 - 4:15 p.m.||Compassion Fatigue in Athletic Training
Wendy Deitrich, ATC
|4:15 - 4:25 p.m.||Closing|
|3:15 - 5:00 p.m.||Quiz Bowl (Centennial Room, not main auditorium)|
Begins at 7:30 a.m., please bring a hard copy of your registration or download the Eventbrite app to have information available on your device.
Access the visitor parking garage directly across from the Main Entrance at the intersection of S.W. 9th and Horne Streets. DO NOT Park in the Emergency Dept. parking spaces as you will get towed. You will enter the building through the main turnstile doors and follow the signs from there.
Lunch is provided by McAllister's Deli, with your choice of McAlisters Club, Turkey Club Croissant, Chicken Salad Croissant, Chicken CaesarWrap, or The Veggie, includes spud chips, chocolate chip cookie, and chilled bottled water. Be prepared to choose your sandwich during the online registration process.
Needed for Registration
- When registering, be sure to have your NATA BOC number, KSBHA License number, NPI (National Provider Identifier) number, and NATA membership number.
- Students, if you are a NATA member, you are also a KATS member.
- If you are not a NATA member in that box just put n/a.
- To apply for your NPI please use the following link: https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/Welcome.do
- For more information on why it is important to obtain an NPI number please visit the following website: https://www.nata.org/practice-patient-care/revenue-reimbursement/national-provider-identifier-npi
As part of our effort to raise funds for the NATA Legislative Grant, $5 of each registration will be used as an in-kind donation to reach our goal. The matching grant and funds raised are used to pay for the services of our lobbyist, Tom Bruno.
- Confirmation of registration will be sent via email within seven days of receipt.
Be sure to check the KATS website periodically for more information on final schedule, speaker bios, presentation objectives, etc. Also, follow the KATS Facebook page and KATS Twitter account for any other updates.